The article “Beyond Demonstrators – tackling fundamental problems in amplifying nature-based solutions for the post-COVID-19 world” co-published by the RECONECT Partner UFZ (Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research) is now online.
Nature-based Solutions (NbS) are currently promoted as a panacea for improving human-nature relations. Yet the way of amplifying and mainstreaming NbS beyond scientific demonstrator projects into policy contexts is still bearing shortcomings, in particular in the uncertain futures of a post-COVID-19 world.
Successful NbS amplification may be achieved by:
- Using multi-scalar action to balance differing interests and reconcile governance levels,
- Providing financial and other institutionalized incentives and strategies for integrated participation processes,
- Using appropriate governance and management scales effectively integrating mediators,
- Using opportunities for transformative change offered by crisis, and
- Learning from worldwide amplification experiences.
The article is available HERE
Ecological connectivity and socio-economic accessibility is improved by nature-based solutions in the Cantón Flores, Heredia Province, Costa Rica. Drone image from the Quebrada Seca River next to the real world lab of the SEE-URBAN-WATER project. Source: Dennis Jöckel.